How does the registration of a moped work?
If you have bought a moped, you have to transfer the registration number to your name. We call this registering. Transferring a moped is very easy, but there are some things you should pay attention to. For example, you should not forget to take out moped insurance as soon as the licence plate has been put in your name. To make transferring a moped as easy as possible, we have drawn up a step-by-step plan for you.
Go directly to
What do I need to register a moped?
If you want to transfer a moped to your name, you have to be at least 16 years old. You must also live in the Netherlands and be registered with a local authority. For the transfer of ownership, you will need either the original registration certificate and transfer document or the credit card-sized chain certificate (also known as the registration card). If you are going to transfer a moped, do not forget to bring a valid identification document. A valid proof of identity is a Dutch passport, a driving licence or an identity card.
What are the costs?
In 2021 the costs for the registration of the moped are €10,75. You pay the costs on the spot when you register the moped.
Step-by-step plan for registering a moped
When transferring a moped, you can follow the following steps:
- Ask the seller of the moped for the necessary documents
- Bring these documents, along with a valid ID, with you to the venue
- Pay the fee of €10.40 for the transfer
- The employee will then transfer the vehicle to your name. You will then receive a registration report. This is written proof of the transaction.
- You will also receive the clearance certificate. You give the clearance certificate to the seller.
- From that moment on, you are liable for the obligations of a licence plate holder. For example, you have to take out moped insurance. You are legally obliged to take out at least a third-party insurance for your moped.
- You will receive the new registration card from RDW the same working day (if the registration was transferred before 16.00) or the next working day.
Do you still have questions about registering a moped? Or do you want more information about taking out moped insurance? Then please contact us! You can reach us from Monday to Friday between 08.00 and 18.00 on 088 - 6883700. Of course you can also send us a message via chat, WhatsApp or Messenger.
We can be reached via Chat, Whatsapp, phone or email
Feel free to contact us if you want to know more.
We are here today until 18:00